Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, August 17, 2009

aMazing Music Mondays

In this edition of "Manic Music Mondays", we are giving props to one of the coolest female artists out there right now: India Arie!



If you've never heard of her (what?!?), here is a short clip from one of her more famous songs, "I Am Not My Hair":

"I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I ma not this skin
I am a soul that lives within
"

Enough said. And the best part? All of her music is about female empowerment and being happy with who you are as a person, not with your physical appearances. And, in a society where Kayne West and friends set the cultural standard for what "good" music is, it's no wonder India Arie is not on the Billboard right next to them.

I mean, who wouldn't want to listen to songs that objectify women's bodies and reduce them to nothing more than sexual objects? That's a top hit right there.

Seriously though, no wonder American girls and women have such low self-esteem, we are brought up to believe that there is an ideal, and if we don't fit that ideal, then we're not beautiful and we should hate who we are.

Well, I say, fuck that....and apparently, so does Ms. Arie.

No comments:

Post a Comment