Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I love Beyonce but...


This may seem completely out there, but I’m a gay man who happens love Beyonce. Quite the mind blower, no? Recently I’ve been listening to Beyonce’s song “Ego” and while I think the song is rather catchy, and the music video is fantastic, I had my own dealings with a major ego a few nights ago, and will have to disagree with Beyonce’s apparent attraction to men with big egos.
A few nights ago a friend and I met a man in the elevator to our building. We had a conversation with him as we rose the six flights of stairs and then simply said goodbye once our floor was reached (he was continuing to the 7th).
Later that night I accompanied the same friend as well as a group outside for a cigarette. In the middle of their smoking, the boy we met on the elevator came outside so we naturally went over to say hello. The conversation went like this:

Me: “Hi how are you?”
Ego Boy: “Oh, I’m straight.”

Maybe this individual had slightly skewed hearing, but I didn’t recall asking him his sexual orientation, simply how he was. Needless to say, I was a little offended over the fact that this man assumed I was coming on to him simply because I was gay. It begged the question; does he also assume that every heterosexual woman is trying to come on to him?
Some of the most frustrating heterosexism for me to deal with is the assumption that simply because an individual identifies themselves as anything other than heterosexual, that they are going to come on to those who are straight. Don’t flatter yourself. Individuals (queer or otherwise) have standards of their own which they answer to. Sexual orientation is not all that makes an individual, or all that makes personal taste so please everyone think before you make assumptions about people.

You know what happens when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME! (cheesy but completely true.)

Think about it.
Corey

1 comment:

  1. YES EXACTLY! Oh I hate that! I am not some rabid sex fiend trying to corner every hetro person I see and trick them into having sex with me! Great article!

    ReplyDelete