Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Business of Being Born

I’m a nursing major and currently in my junior year, which means I’ve just started clinical. I’ve learned two things about myself thus far: I absolutely love helping people. I am dreading working in maternity because it infuriates me. The hospital I go to for clinical, only has seven labor/delivery rooms….SEVEN. Somehow, I feel these aren’t enough rooms to accommodate for an entire northern New Jersey area. It’s almost as if women are EXPECTED to push a baby out in one hour or if that doesn’t happen get a cesarean, before they even come into the hospital…wait, really?


I guess my point is, when doctors are needed, in emergency situations, they are the best at what they do and they do it very well. But, for healthy women, why not give them an option to deliver on their own time, in their own way? Believe it or not, women can do it all by themselves…biologically our bodies know how to give birth.


I encourage you to check out the following documentary out if you have yet to see it,


http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/


Because it rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment