Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, October 26, 2009

Manic Music Monday

Music posts are hard for me because, for whatever reason, I tend to listen to a very limited scope of music. In honor of that, today I just figured I’d give you all a list of awesome feminist-friendly songs that I probably listen to about twenty times a day, since there isn’t much else in my ipod. (Just a note, the only requirements I have for feminist-friendly music is that it is not degrading to women in any way.)

1. Vintage Clothes – Paul McCartney
We jump up for joy
Who cares if we look like a girl or boy
What we are, is what we are and what we wear
Is vintage clothes, vintage clothes

2. I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
Well open up your mind and see like me,
open up your plans and damn you’re free,
look into your heart and you’ll find love love love love.
Listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing,
we’re just one big family
and It’s our God-forsaken right to be loved love loved love loved.

3. Shiny Happy People – REM
{The muppet version of this is adorable as well!}
Throw your love around
Love me love me
Take it into town
Happy happy
Put it in the ground
Where the flowers grow
Gold and silver shine

4. Fell Down the Stairs – Tilly and the Wall
And if I could reverse it,
I don’t think that it’d be worth it
’cause I know in my heart I would never let you tumble to the ground.

5. Ghost of Corporate Future – Regina Spektor
People are just people;
they shouldn’t make you nervous.
The world is everlasting, it’s coming and it’s going.
If you don’t toss your plastic,
the street won’t be so plastic
and if you kiss somebody then both of you’ll get practice.
The world is everlasting,
put dirtballs in your pocket,
put dirtballs in your pocket and take off both your shoes.
‘Cause people are just people,
people are just people,
people are just people like you.

6. How Lucky we Are – Meiko
One day we’ll get out of this shitty apartment,
One day is all it takes for things to turn around.
[...]
One day, we’ll turn on the T.V. and wont see nothing bout war,
and when that morning comes I’ll make coffee and you’ll read the paper
we’ll talk about our plans and I’ll keep saying how lucky we are.

7. Upside Down – Jack Johnson
Who’s to say
I can’t do everything?
Well I can try,
and as I roll along I begin to find
things aren’t always just what they seem.
I wanna turn the whole thing upside down,
I’ll find the things they say just can’t be found.
I’ll share this love I find with everyone
we’ll sing and dance to Mother Nature’s song
I don’t want this feeling to go away.

8. She Moves in Her Own Way – The Kooks
So won’t you go far
Tell me you’re a keeper
You’re all about to lie down for your cause
But you don’t pull my strings because
Cause I’m a better man
Moving on to better things
But uh oh, I love her because
She moves in her own way
But uh oh, she came to my show
Just to hear about my day

9. End of the Line – The Traveling Wilburys
Well it’s all right, riding around in the breeze
Well it’s all right, if you live the life you please
Well it’s all right, doing the best you can
Well it’s all right, as long as you lend a hand

10. Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it’s been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it’s all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment