Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, October 5, 2009

Manic Music Mondays!


Very rarely do I feel emotionally connected to a piece of popular music. Having an intense musical theatre background, I find that most main-stream music lacks the emotional connection that musical theatre soundtracks do. However, when my partner originally introduced me to Jay Brannan I finally felt the connection that is so often lacking in music. The song which touched me is called “Housewife” by Jay Brannan.

In this song, Jay describes how he would love to have a life with a certain guy, and how, if he had his choice, he would like to be a homemaker. The song describes his hopeful partnership and how, while it may not be perfect, it is exactly what both parties need.

Some of my favorite lyrics include:
“I'm making guacamole
He's working on the car
When he grills turkey burgers
He knows I like them charred

I like to wash the dishes
I like to scrub the floors
Don't mind doing his laundry
What are boyfriends for?”

and

“I wanna have his baby
I want to wear his ring
He drives me fuckin' crazy
I am his everything

I wanna be a housewife
What's so wrong with that?
I wanna be a housewife, yeah
And that's just where I'm at”

This song is not only sweet and moving, but it is important because it illustrates the fact that Queer couples have the same ups and downs that heterosexual couples have. Often times marriage equality is seen as a separate issue from traditional marriage, but in reality all married people want the same thing.

Think about it.
Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment