Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Thursday, October 22, 2009

So, I've been looking for a Halloween costume for about a month now. I don't specifically go out shopping for one, but when my friends and I go to the mall, we like to stop in the Halloween store to see if we like anything.
I feel like most of the costumes are the same: really tight fitting, short dresses/skirts/shorts that accentuate the boobs and butt. What about people that can't fit into that? What about the people that don't want to be half-naked? I don't know if you've noticed, but it's been really friggen cold lately.
I personally wouldn't want to wear any of those outfits because, number one, I don't want to freeze my ass off (almost literally), and two because I'm not ok with people being able to see under my dress/skirt when I walk or sit.
Another costume that disturbed me was "The Trophy Wife"...excuse me?
I know, it's Halloween, the holiday that has been misconstrued to now mean "let's dress up like someone/something else for fun, get candy, have lots of parties, etc." Can we do it in a way that does not involve objectifying women? And this isn't pointing the finger at men, saying that they are the only perpetrators.
If you choose to wear a sexy costume, you have every right to...that's the best part about feminism is that it's your choice. I just wish there were more choices available for people who are not partial to that type of dressing up.
Enjoy yourselves, be safe, eat lots of candy...Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment