Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Thursday, September 16, 2010

Love the Way You Lie: It's About an Abusive Relationship

I really hope the above statement hasn’t fallen out of the minds of everyone who listens to this song. It is about an abusive relationship.

The first time I heard this song, I remember getting a chill and tearing up while driving in the car. Seeing the video for the first time was just as jarring, it sent such a powerful message. Some of the lyrics for those of us who maybe don’t listen to the mainstream radio stations:

“Come inside, pick up the bags off the sidewalk
Don't you hear sincerity in my voice when I talk?
Told you this is my fault, look me in the eyeball
Next time I'm pissed I'll aim my fist at the drywall
Next time there won't be no next time
I apologize even though I know it's lies
I'm tired of the games I just want her back
I know I'm a liar if she ever tries to fuckin' leave again
I'ma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire”

Emphasis mine.

And for those of us who don’t watch MTV regularly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U

Lyrically, I think this song is brilliant. And while you can’t generalize this situation to all abusive relationships, the portrayal of the cycle of violence that keeps a person in an abusive relationship is outlined very well in this song. Also, I think Rhianna is pretty awesome for coming out with this song after her horribly public relationship with Chris Brown. I think it’s so important to talk about this issue because for so many people (predominantly women) in abusive relationships, they feel alone and isolated.

Because domestic violence is a very personal and private occurrence, we hold our annual Violence Awareness Week here at Ramapo. Visit the Women’s Center facebook for more information about our events in October, or swing on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment