Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Thursday, September 23, 2010

Old Enough

Since I was young I’ve always wanted to be grown up. I am the oldest in my family, so hanging out with the adults and helping take care of my siblings and cousins has definitely played a large part. My parents and many other people have always told me I act very mature for my age. I like hanging out with older people. It makes me feel older and more sophisticated. I can’t be bothered with High School-like drama. Maybe that’s why my best friend is 44 years old. You don’t come across the bull shit…as much.

Being in a student leadership role, I attend many meetings with the college’s administration. Recently, I have become very conscious of my appearance for these meetings. Yes, I have to dress professionally, but I refuse to conform to the social “norms” of business woman attire. I wear whatever I am comfortable in that is business casual. One day will be nice dress pants and a blouse. Another day I might feel like wearing a skirt. It’s all about what I think looks nice and what I feel like wearing that day.

Another thing I noticed is how I am sometimes not taken seriously because I am young, I am a student, and I am female. I have noticed how certain adults cut me off while I’m trying to ask a question or make a point. They are quick to think that because I am only 21 years old I am not capable of understanding budgets or policy. (Please don’t get me wrong. There are a lot of supportive people that I have no problem with.) I would contest that because of my leadership role I have a duty to do extra research and ask questions to ensure that I have an understanding of issues and decision items. If anything, I would expect this disapproving attitude to be directed towards the people that don’t care or are too lazy to care. Don’t be condescending to me for making an effort and actually caring about pertinent issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment