Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How Funny is Funny?

My dad was watching The Roast of Bob Saget the other night on Comedy Central. Some of the roasters were John Stamos, Jon Lovitz, Cloris Leechman, Norm MacDonald and Gilbert Gottfried. I only caught the Gilbert Gottfried portion towards the end, but I can only imagine the rest of the cast's jokes.

I am not naive to think that most comedians are politically correct. I know that a lot of them actually focus their jokes on stereotypes, racism, sexism, ageism, etc. But how far is too far? Personally, and I'm pretty sure I speak for the entire Women's Center, joking about rape and child molestation is NOT OK. These are two very serious crimes that so many people take lightly.

Bob Saget even jokes about his Full House character "Danny Tanner" and his costars as having been 'too close' with the daughters. But that's like saying "Well, I am _________ so it's ok if I make fun of myself." When in reality, you're just making it ok for others to joke about it.

At the roast, one of the first things Gilbert Gottfried said about the guest of honor was "Bob Saget raped and killed a girl in 1990" and then he went on to 'dispel the rumor' by repeating it 3 more times, and ended that part with advising the audience to report it. What really bothered me was how Bob Saget couldn't breathe because he was laughing so hard. And the camera cut to a couple views of the audience that also was hysterical. Soooo....what was so funny?

Gottfried then went on to joke about a woman asking a bartender how to make a drink called "asshurt", and referenced how Bob Saget slipped something into a young girl's drink, then the girl woke up the next morning with pain in her rear. I don't remember the joke verbatim, nor do I care to, but this was pretty much the gist. And I do remember Gottfried linking this joke to Saget's working with the Olson twins while filming Full House.

Again, I don't know what makes these "jokes'" funny, but I think Gilbert Gottfried and other comedians take it way too far. This is what comedy has become in today's society, and I believe it is tasteless, inappropriate, and shameful. By making light of these situations, we are demonstrating that it's ok...that it's funny. Well, I'm not laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment