Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Katy Perry's E.T.

I like Katy Perry, just as much as the next person, but sometimes, I have issues with her lyrics. I know that her lyrics are not as offensive as other songs, but I just wanted to raise a few points.

I was talking with my co-worker/roommate Michelle the other day about the newer song "E.T." We were trying to figure out our sentiments about the song. Yes, it's catchy. Yes, it's a pretty cool music video. But we finally realized what was not sitting well with us. In the chorus, she sings "wanna be a victim, ready for abduction." Later on, Kanye sings:

"I'ma disrobe you, then I'ma probe you
See, I abducted you, So I tell ya what to do"

I have a problem with her using the word "victim." Personally, I don't think you should ever want to be a victim of anything. I think Kanye's part makes it worse because it shows dominance and control. I can't help but notice parallels between this and sexual assault. Notice how it's not a "we are going to do this." It's more like "I am going to do this to you."
Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment