Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Live Journal: Introduction

I have decided to create a live journal in which I will document my experiences and explorations in social justice.

The fight for social justice has always been important to me, a queer woman of color born and raised in an urban community to immigrant parents. Now, some of you may have raised an eyebrow. Yeah, I’m pretty much the walking-talking poster child for intersectionality, and yes, I do possess multiple minority identities that are reflected in my every day life experiences. How’s that for an introduction?

Being the very introverted child that I was growing up, I developed a talent for picking up on things that nobody ever seemed to notice (and over-analyzing seemingly simple matters). Unsurprisingly, this carried on into my adult life and has helped me in deconstructing a lot of the patriarchal garbage that we are fed right out of the womb (literally…but don’t get me started on gender roles).

While feminist theory and queer politics have played a major role in helping to formulate my identity as I know it today, I realize now that nothing— not even my high school sociology courses— could have prepared me for the ineffable growth and development that I would experience as a social justice advocate in college.

I don't claim to have mastered social justice because, frankly, no one can. That's right, no one, but I will share with you all my personal exploration and self-discovery in bi-monthly blog posts.

Until next time,

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment