Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Addressing Our Social Responsibility

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to be me and how my very distinct position in society affects my life.  How am I privileged? What opportunities come easy to me? How many disadvantages am I at mercy to? What kind of biases am I subject to? What about who and what my classification in America dictates what I go through on a daily basis.
I think everyone needs to give some thought to their social position. It’s essential to, not only understanding the dynamics of where you stand, but being able to improve the lives of those in similar positions. All of these thoughts were planted in my head as I was reading through some blogs online last week. I thought about what it means to be a minority in America, particularly a black latino. I thought about how being gay informs my social relations, even within the Hispanic community. I contemplated the advantages I have in life simply for being a man.  I have privileges that anyone of the opposite sex simply still doesn’t have. Men still make more money than women in the workplace who have the same job. However, I am not just a man, I am not just a black Hispanic man, and I am a black Hispanic gay man; that unique position places me in a box that only I can define for myself.

 There are layers to everyone that reveal different aspects of their identity. Giving serious thought to what your position in society will help you decode the world around you. It’s a form of enlightenment. When more people become aware of the power they have, we will be able to surpass some of the issues that are so prevalent today. Men have the power to help women. Minorities have the ability to empower other minorities. We need to take an active role in addressing the responsibilities we have with our diverse identities instead of running from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment