Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Thursday, April 24, 2014

Undergrad Career

As a graduating senior this certainly will be a bittersweet post. When you're an incoming first year student as an undergrad your vision on how college life will be is primarily derived from television shows and movies, or stories that you hear about from your best friend's older brother. No one can be truly prepared for college until you're actually fully immersed into the culture. When I was a freshmen just about four years ago, I was excited to start a new chapter in my academic career, as generic as that sounds, it is my truth. I came in as an EOF student which is a program for students who need financial assistance. The program gives students the opportunity to receive an education even if a student may not be able to afford it. Fortunately for me I came into Ramapo in the summer session for the program which gave me an advantage of what to expect once the official school year began. Then fall semester of my freshmen year came around and my level of excitement for higher learning dropped. The only time I was out of my room was for my classes, otherwise I was hiding underneath my sheets counting sheep for hours, even days at a time. I was extremely introverted and did not want to interact with anyone unless it was absolutely necessary. However, having the circle of friends that I was so fortunate to develop during the summer session, they surely started to crack my shell and break me out of the bubble I was constructed for so long.

Soon after that time period of my undergrad career a change came over me. (Yes, I realize it sounds like I was transforming into a werewolf at the moon's peak, but that didn't happen until my senior year). I digress. By the end of my first year at Ramapo, there wasn't a program you didn't see me at, or an initiative I wasn't a part of in some facet. The rest is pretty much history after that. I joined a Greek-lettered organization, got hired under CSI (student activities department at the time) have done countless hours of service projects and joined several other student clubs and organizations offered on campus. Then senior year arrives, just as I mentioned there cannot be any formal preparation of entering college, the same regard goes to exiting as well. Don't get me wrong, the school offers students hundreds of resources and opportunities to help us develop professionally so we are ready for the "real world", but no one can entirely control what will happen post graduation. This is where I am today. Graduation is just about 2 weeks away and one would think I would be excited, nervous, anxious, exhausted, constipated, or whatever other adjective you would deem appropriate. The only term I can use it ready. Very simple, but truthful. I am ready to finish off my undergrad career, walk across that stage in my cap and gown and hundreds of stoles on, receive what is meant to be my diploma, and keep walking towards my future.

Congratulations to all graduating seniors and good luck on your future endeavors in life wherever that may take you. I will be heading to the sunshine state at the University of Central Florida to pursue my master's degree, yay me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment