Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Friday, October 30, 2009

Smoke Up Kids!

Yay, Halloween is this weekend! Speaking of candy...last weekend, I had some time to go home and spend some time with my family and friends. One of my close friends was visiting home from Virginia, so we decided to go apple picking and then walk around a small, neighboring country town. Before leaving, we stopped in a candy shop (you know, the one that has all the old-time candy in giant barrels?). I figured I would grab some candy to bring back to school with me. Well, guess what I see right at a child’s eye-level immediately upon entering the store:









I pointed them out to my friend, horrified who tried to comfort me by saying children probably didn’t even notice. Funny, because almost immediately after she said this, three young boys walked up to the barrel and began to pretend like they were smoking......nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment