Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, November 2, 2009

Manic Music Monday

So... I don't listen to the radio very often. Yesterday made me remember why. 

I was in my car and got tired of the Owl City CD I had in, and switched on a top 40 radio station. It was at that point that I was subjected to David Guetta and Akon's song "Sexy Bitch"... or in the attempt at being politically correct radio edition, "Sexy Chick". If you haven't yet heard this song, count your blessings and call it a day. However if you feel the need to read the lyrics to get the context of this post, you can check them out here http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/david_guetta_lyrics_89/one_love_lyrics_98008/sexy_bitch_lyrics_945817.html

There is one part of this song in particular that really gets me:
"She's nothing like a girl you've ever seen before
Nothing you can compare to your neighborhood hoe
I'm trying to find the words to describe this girl
Without being disrespectful"


The most disturbing part is that I think that is intended to be a COMPLIMENT (???) Apparently, this 'bitch' is soooo hot, that the only words you could think to describe her would be deragatory. This woman is so attractive, so beautiful, that I am compelled to say disrespectful things about her. In what world does that make sense??

Hey David Guetta & Akon, I have a shocking suggestion for you: if you feel the need to describe a beautiful woman, how about you say she's beautiful? Akon, I know you're capable, because you had another song called 'You're so beautiful." So therefore, you can find words to describe her without being disrespectful, you just choose not to use them. And that makes you a jerk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment