Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, December 7, 2009

Manic Music Monday: Holiday Edition

So everyone here at the Women's Center knows this about me.... I hate Christmas/Holiday music. Yes, I am the actual living version of the Grinch. Popular secular Christmas music, to me, falls in two categories: the sickeningly sweet and sappy or the depressing 'I'm having a terrible holiday because the love of my life broke up with me, or I'm broke, or insert reason for holiday failure' tunes. 
This is just my opinion, you are more than welcome to disagree. (In fact, please do, it will make my staff happy) However, I feel that Christmas lovers and haters alike can agree on one point: That song "Baby It's Cold Outside" has lyrics that make me cringe.

Let's analyze shall we? The premise of the song is a woman who wants to leave a man's house, but he is trying to convince her not to. Some gems featured in this song include:
"The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there"


"I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move closer
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride?"

"I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
The answer is no - Ooh darling, it's cold outside"

Hey, Christmas song man, no means no, I don't give a crap about how cold it is. This song perpetuates rape culture ideals... that "no" is really just a way of saying "convince me to say yes". When I say no to something, it's because I want to, and when I am guilted or coerced into saying yes, it's not a real 'yes'. And when it comes to sex, that is NEVER okay.

The only consent that counts is true, enthusiastic consent. So to the Baby It's Cold Outside man, I don't care that it's cold, I have gloves. So leave me alone


No comments:

Post a Comment