Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Friday, November 4, 2011

Modern Familia

Saying that I love Modern Family definitely doesn’t fully describe my obsession. I adore almost every aspect of it. From the sharp, witty dialogue coupled with the extremely important message that there are so many different kinds of families out there, and that’s okay. You can have two moms, two dads, a mom and a dad, or one parent, and your family doesn’t have to be labeled as “dysfunctional” or weird. I was extremely young when I became one of the many children of divorce all over the world, so maybe that’s why I find a lot of comfort from a show that’s trying to change how society views families. In Catholic school, I can remember being in a debate about gay marriage. My teacher made the argument that a lesbian couple shouldn’t have a daughter because a little girl, in order to develop into a well adjusted woman, needs a father figure. This was appalling to me because in one sentence, a teacher told me that I had no chance at having a normal adulthood because I had an absent father. Looking back at it now, I realize how trivial that really is. I, like many other people, might be missing a person from my family, but there’s still a whole lot of love there. And isn’t that more important? I think that’s the great thing about Modern Family. It depicts a group of people who fight with each other, like a normal family, but will also always fight for each other. It shows that you can love whomever you want, in whatever way you want, and you still have a family at your back to annoy the crap out of you. Plus, it’s just freaking hilarious, so if you haven’t already started watching it halfway through this great blog post, START NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment