Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Friday, December 9, 2011

Dear Santa...

Dear Santa,

I have to say that there are quite a few things on my Christmas list this year. I’d love some new boots, “Buffy” on DVD, but one of the things I’d like which will most likely not be underneath my Christmas Tree is for Michele Bachmann to lose the Republican primary for president. To be honest, the fact that she has any supporters at all is a bit mind boggling, as interview after interview she digs herself into a deeper hole of stupid. I can’t help but feel like this is Sarah Palin all over again, pretending to be cutting edge and modern simply because she is a woman and a Republican (GASP! A woman politician with a voice?! Say it ain’t so!).

Perhaps one of the reasons I feel so strongly about Bachmann is because of some of the terrible things she has said about the LBGT community. She has said in interviews that we are “part of Satan” and refuses to acknowledge same sex couples as couples at all. Her “opinion” is that marriage is between a man and a woman. Of course, opinion doesn’t really matter when same sex couples are already existing all over the world, but hey if Michele has an “opinion” I guess it matters. I also recently saw the following video, where a High School student and youth activist challenges Bachmann on same-sex marriage, only to have her recite that we all, as Americans, have the “same civil rights”. It’s a little confusing to hear just how equal my civil rights are, when I’m not granted thousands of rights related to marriage and adoption because of the fact that my future partner will be a man.




Whatchu talking ‘bout Michele?

So please. Santa, Old Saint Nick, Chris Cringle, Ho Ho, I would LOVE to have Michele lose the primary election. I promise to be a good boy all year, clean my room, brush my teeth, and continue fighting for equality until I don’t have to hear ignorant people like her talk about my community anymore.

HO HO HO

1 comment: