Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Breaking the Box.

The Texas Association Against Sexual Assault is taking a stand against sexual violence and gender stereotypes. Their "Break the Box" campaign focuses on sexual violence, but also reminds us that everyone is free to be a human being and not a walking stereotype. Before I get into how I feel, enjoy this ad that was created for the "Break the Box" campaign.

How many times have we heard these phrases?
-It's a man's game
-Be more ladylike
-Boys don't cry
-Tomboys are freaks
-You play like a girl
-She owes you, she wants it, seal the deal
-Be a man, man up

I've played ice hockey (a man's game), I burp loudly and can curse like a sailor (not ladylike characteristics), I yell rather than cry sometimes (girls always cry), I love wearing men's clothing (it's not normal to be a tomboy), I am a girl but I play the game with 100% intensity (girls can't play sports), I don't owe anyone anything (I do what makes me feel comfortable), and why would I want to be a man, being a woman is awesome. Why can't I just be me? Why are we always expected to be something we aren't? Doesn't my personality matter, my intelligence, my wisdom, what about my humor?!

It's time to break out of the box and leave gender stereotypes as something in the past. It's time to break free of oppression, rise up, and raise hell. I don't like focusing on what society wants me to be because focusing on what I want me to be is much more rewarding.

The steps I am taking to break the box are:
-Do what makes me happy
-Wear what makes me comfortable
-Say what I think and how I feel
-Refrain from gender specific insults/ correct my friends when they do
-Perpetuate acceptance
-Keep an open mind

The steps are small and easy to do.
How are you going to break free from the box?



No comments:

Post a Comment