Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Monday, March 25, 2013

Status Update: Do I Really Need Facebook?

This guy is going to need a new friend for the mornings...

On any given morning my sequence of events is as follows, make a cup of coffee, sit down in front of my computer, check my email, log into Facebook. Without fail, Facebook is just as much a part of my morning as Folgers.
With a click of the mouse, I can see and know whom of my friends is moving, dating someone new, went partying last night, or is having a bad day. Likewise, anyone that I’m “friends” with can see where I attend school, where I work, what my thoughts of the day are, and quite possibly what I drive: all from one website. At one point in my life I obsessed over how many photos I had and how many “friends” I had on Facebook. But as I’ve grown up and grown older than needing the reassurance of a cadre of “Facebook Friends”, I’ve begun to wonder if I really need the site at all.
It’s become obvious that “social networking” is now the complete domain of social media, and actual, interactive, social networking is a thing of the past. Talking face to face is as antiquated as sending a telegram, and “going steady” is about as modern as a Model T. But I have to wonder: what has this done to us? I for one don’t think that we are better off and I intend to make a change. For a week, I’m going to stay off of Facebook, and see what I actually miss. During that week, I’m going to solely interact with people face to face; meaning actual conversations and actual hanging out.
I think it would definitely be an interesting week, and I’m willing to bet that my mornings could be way more interesting if I paired my Folgers with something else.

Anyway, that’s all for now folks!
~Namaste~

No comments:

Post a Comment