Founded in 1974, the Women’s Center was established to:
Dismantle, from a feminist perspective, all forms of oppression, including but not limited to those based on ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Advocate for an equitable environment free from violence and harassment based on gender, race, and sexual orientation.
Create an anti-racist, non-sexist, queer-affirmative space where all people can feel valued and safe.
Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference through programming and educational campaigns.
Integrate an appreciation of Women's Gender and Multicultural Studies across the disciplines.


Thursday, April 18, 2013

Happy Day of Alliance!

“Day of Alliance,” is a new alternative to the traditional “Day of Silence.”  On the National Day of Silence, students stay silent for a day to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-queer bullying and harassment in schools.  On this Women’s Center – created “Day of Alliance,” students are encouraged to SPEAK OUT against discrimination by proclaiming their alliance with any commonly marginalized group. 
You’ll see students sporting unique t-shirts and buttons in honor of this day, as provided (for free!) by the Women’s Center in the atrium from 1 – 2pm.  So far, the buttons and shirts that I’ve been seeing are awesome.
 

Anyone who identifies with an oppressed group is welcome to come take a t-shirt or a button and customize it to what group they identify with and how they either proudly fit or don’t fit the stereotype.  This day was initiated to inspire unity among members of commonly marginalized groups, whether based upon ability, age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, orientation, religion, or any other identity, through these visual declarations and celebrations of individualism.
 
Some examples of phrases are:
 
I am _gay_ and I _am religious_.
I am _bisexual_ and _it's not just a phase_.
I am _a lesbian_ and I _love dresses_.
I am _trans_ and _my body parts are not up for discussion_.
I am _asexual_ and _I don't hate sex_.
I am _a feminist_ and I _ shave my legs_.
I am _Asian_ and I _suck at math_.
I am _Black_ and I _don't like hiphop_.
I am _Hispanic_ and I _am an honor student_.
I am _a straight man_ and I _cried watching The Notebook_.
I am _living with a disability_ and I _am happy_.
I am _skinny_ and I _eat a lot_.
I am _fat_ and I _love my body_.
I am _Christian_ and I _support gay marriage_.
I am _an atheist_ and I _am respectful of religion_.
I am _male_ and I _am a feminist_.
I am _a professor_ and I _procrastinate too_.
 
I am ________ and I _SUPPORT.

 
I do not identify as queer, but as a lover of people for who they are, I am super excited to sport a button or a t-shirt proclaiming that I, too, identify with groups that are marginalized, and that no one should ever have to feel unable to express who they really are.

Take a t-shirt, write whatever you like, and participate in this forward-thinking movement for celebrating diversity! 

2 comments:

  1. This is an absolutely amazing idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not discriminate against gender, race, socioeconomic status or any other factor. Belts For Men

    ReplyDelete